Register | Recover Password


Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find a list of repairs that you and your Leasing Manager went over at the time of viewing the selected property. If you find that discussed repairs are not on the Property Repair Sheet, feel free to contact your Leasing Manager for more information.


Application Fees are $50.00 Non-Refundable for All Applicants over the age of 18.


Rent is due on the 1st of each month and is considered late on the 2nd. A late fee of $100.00 is applied to all payments that are received in our office after the start of business on the 2nd. Any payments made after the start of the business on the 15th will be assessed an additional $50.00 late fee. Rent can be paid:


By Mail (check, money order, or cashier’s check)
10709 Morang Drive
Detroit, Michigan 48224


By Depositing Funds into Company Bank Account (at Any J.P Morgan Chase Branch)
Account Holder: Great Lakes Property
If depositing cash we ask that your name and rental address is listed somewhere on the deposit form.


By Setting Up A Direct Debit
This will allow funds to be debited from your checking/savings account.


By Using Credit/Debit Card
Contact the office, any one of your Leasing Managers will be glad to assist you in making your payment.
Very soon tenants will able to make payments online and using their EBT Cash Benefits


All non-emergency maintenance requests must be submitted in writing. Valid and reasonable requests will be repaired as soon as possible. You can submit a request in any one of the following ways:


Submit a Maintenance Request by clicking this link


Print the Maintenance Request Form and Fax it to:
(313) 980-0050 or www.Propertyware.com


Print the Maintenance Request Form and Mail it to or login in your tenant portal:
Attention: Maintenance
10705 Morang Drive
Detroit, Michigan 48224


Email your request to:
GreatLakesProp@aol.com or www.Propertyware.com
Attention: Maintenance/ (Property Address)


Please include on all forms: Date requested, your name, address of repair and phone number where you can be reached. Be specific about the problem you are having.*Note whether we can enter the home with a key to do repairs and whether you have any pets that our maintenance staff should be aware of. Please do not call in a request to our office it will not be recorded.

In a non-emergency situation, please allow three days. If you have not heard from our office in five days, please give our office a call.

Each tenant is responsible for their own lawn care maintenance. If lawn maintenance is not done by tenant in a timely manner, Great Lakes Property and Investments, INC will contact our contractors to complete the necessary maintenance and the cost will be billed to the tenant.


It is at the owner’s discretion to determine if he/she will allow pets in their rental homes. Some owners will not allow any pets; others will approve only small dogs, while others will allow a dog of any size. Some owners will allow only one pet and others will allow multiple pets. Some owners will allow cats, some will not, and others will allow cats only if they have been declawed and spayed or neutered.There is a pet deposit required when a tenant has a pet. This pet deposit averages approximately $150.00 per animal. A possible increase in your base rent may also be required.

You will be required to complete a questionnaire in regards to your pet prior to acceptance of the animal. Pet shot records must be up to date. Any damage to the property or to the neighbor’s property that is caused by your pets will be the sole responsibility of the tenant.


Great Lakes Property and Investments, INC does  require tenants to have Renter’s Insurance, but it is STRONGLY recommended.


Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about Security Deposits by tenants of Great Lakes Property and Investments. If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please contact the office.


1. What is the purpose of a security deposit?
Answer: A security deposit is a landlord’s way of guaranteeing that he or she will be compensated for any damages that may occur while a tenant is living in the property.


2. Can a landlord require a security deposit?
Answer: Yes, a landlord can require a security deposit for each rental unit.


3. What is the most a landlord can ask for on a security deposit?
Answer: A security deposit shall not exceed 1 ½ months rent


4. Do I have to give my landlord a forwarding address to get my security deposit back?
Answer: You must notify your landlord in writing within four days after you move of a forwarding address where you can be reached and where you will receive mail; otherwise your landlord shall be relieved of sending you an itemized list of damages and the penalties adherent to that failure.


5. Whose property is the security deposit?
Answer: For the purposes of the Landlord and Tenant Relationship Act and any litigation arising thereunder, the security deposit is considered the lawful property of the tenant until the landlord establishes a right to the deposit or portions thereof as long as the bond provision is fulfilled, the landlord may use this fund for any purposes he desires.


6. What are the permissible uses for a security deposit?
• Reimburse the landlord for actual damages to the rental unit or any ancillary facility that are the direct result of conduct not reasonably expected in the normal course of habitation of a dwelling.
• Pay the landlord for all rent in arrangements under the rental agreement, rent due for premature termination of the rental agreement by the tenant and for utility bills not paid by the tenant.


7. How is my security deposit handled if I damage my rental property?
 Answer: In case of damage to the rental unit or other obligation against the security deposit,  the landlord shall mail to the tenant, within thirty days after the termination of occupancy, an itemized list of damages claimed for which the security deposit may be used as provided in Lease Agreement, including the estimated cost of repair of each property damaged item and the amounts and basis on which he intends to assess the tenant. The list shall be accompanied by a check or money order for the difference between the damages claimed and the amount of the security deposit held by the landlord and shall not include any damages that were claimed on a previous termination inventory checklist prior to the tenant’s occupancy of the rental unit.


8. How long do I have to give my landlord notice of my forwarding address after my termination of occupancy?
Answer: The tenant shall notify the landlord in writing at the address given under Section 4 of the Landlord and Tenant Relationships Act within four days after termination of his occupancy of an address at which communications pursuant to this act may be received. Failure to comply with this requirement relieves the landlord of the requirement of notice of damages but does not prejudice a tenant’s subsequent claim for the security deposit.